St. Vincent Cemetery opened in 1853 on a 5-acre parcel located on the country estate of philanthropist Johns Hopkins, which was then located just outside of Baltimore City in today’s Clifton Park. Parishioners at St. Vincent de Paul Church had previously used the St. James Cemetery on Harford Road which was closed and sold to the city that same year. The bodies interred at St. James were then moved to the new St. Vincent Cemetery.
The cemetery is located within the confines of the Clifton Park Golf Course in Baltimore, Maryland. Though it looks like open space park land, it was once covered with gravestones and mausoleums. Unfortunately, it suffered from extensive vandalism that included destroying the monuments and disinterring bodies. In order to protect the remains of the deceased, government and church authorities removed all markers. Subsequently, the land became overgrown with volunteer trees and underbrush.
It remained that way for over 30 years until a small group of descendants found each other online and formed the Friends of St. Vincent Cemetery (FoSVC). The mission of the FoSVC is to develop St. Vincent Cemetery into a memorial dedicated to all those buried in the cemetery and that will complement the encircling Clifton Park. There are records for over 3,700 people buried at St. Vincent Cemetery. More records continue to be found due to ongoing research conducted by volunteers and coordinated by FoSVC Archivist Joyce Erway. The most recent list can be found on the “Deceased” page of this website.
Links to sites relating to St. Vincent Cemetery, historic cemeteries, and genealogy.
- St. Vincent Cemetery Restoration Group on Yahoo
- St. Vincent Cemetery on Facebook
- St. Vincent Cemetery Page on Baltimore City Gen Web
- Cemetery Junction
- Coalition to Protect Maryland Sites, Inc
- Find a Grave
- Maryland Archives
- St. Vincent Cemetery Tombstone Photographs on Photobucket
- St. Vincent de Paul Church
- Tombstone Transcription Project
- Cindi’s List of Genealogy Sites on the Internet